National Surgical Technologist Week September 18 - 23, 2017
Let us know if you would like to be a part of reaching out to our school and students.
AST 49th Annual National Conference in Orlando, Florida
May 31 - June 6, 2018
2017 Fall Elections
It's not to early to be thinking of running for a board position. It is an excellent way to get to know your MN AST organization and how our profession is being shaped within Minnesota.
RE: DELEGATE & ALTERNATE ELECTIONS
Both AST National and State Assembly Bylaws stipulate delegates are to be “elected by the state assembly.” What does this mean? A state assembly must conduct elections for delegates and alternates in the same way as Board elections.
- At least 60 days to advertise delegate elections to the general membership.
- The candidate submits the Consent to Serve Form to the Credential Committee. (A CV is not required.)
- Eligibility is an active member of AST.
- In the month of April or May, no elections can be held.
- A quorum must be met to conduct elections.
- A state assembly is entitled to six (6) delegates and six (6) alternates.
- Delegates and alternates shall be active members elected by the membership. (Only active members may vote.)
- Vote by ballot in person is valid. Other forms, such as the raising of hands, volunteers, by email or phone is void.
- The membership elects the alternate at the same time as the delegates.
- Members of the Board cannot be delegates or alternates if not elected by the membership.
- The president or any other board member cannot appoint delegates or alternates.
- Submit the attached interactive Delegate and Alternate Form to AST within five (5) days of the elections.
ELIGIBILITY - ACTIVE MEMBER OF AST
- An individual must be current with certification through the National Board of Surgical Technology & Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST). A CSFA only (not a CST) and Pre77’s without currency are not eligible.
- The individual must be current in their AST membership and at the time of the AST National Conference.
AT AST ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE
During the national conference, the only time a President or Chair can move an alternate to a delegate:
- When a delegate does not attend the conference and the state has previously designated alternate and in conference attendance.
- When a State Assembly President or Chair finds a delegate is not following their state assembly policies.