SEPTEMBER 23, 2017
*During the Annual Business Meeting, Elections will be held for 6 Delegates, 6 Alternate Delegates, Officers and Directors.
President: 2-year term; 2017 - 2019 (odd-numbered years)
Vice President: 2-year term; 2017 - 2019 (odd-numbered years)
Treasurer: 2-year term; 2017 - 2019 (odd-numbered years)
Directors: 2 places: 2 = 2-year term; 2017 - 2019 (odd-numbered years)
OFFICER POSITION: Candidates interested in an officer position shall have been an active AST member for one year immediately preceding nomination. If elected, the member must maintain active status with AST.
DIRECTOR POSITION: Candidates interested in a Director position shall have been a member for one year immediately preceding nomination. If elected, the member must maintain active status with AST. (Could be a student member as long certified at the time of nominations.)
If you are interested in serving in any of these offices, please contact with any questions. Candidates that are interested must be an active AST member for one year immediately preceding nomination. If elected, the member must maintain active status with AST. If you are interested in how our profession is being shaped within the state of Minnesota please consider becoming part of our MN State Assembly Board. Commitment entails 4-6 meetings a year, or as needed for workshops to be put together.
RE: DELEGATE & ALTERNATE ELECTIONS
Both AST National and State Assembly Bylaws stipulate delegates are to be “elected by the state assembly.” What does this mean? A state assembly must conduct elections for delegates and alternates in the same way as Board elections.
- At least 60 days to advertise delegate elections to the general membership.
- The candidate submits the Consent to Serve Form to the Credential Committee. (A CV is not required.)
- Eligibility is an active member of AST.
- In the month of April or May, no elections can be held.
- A quorum must be met to conduct elections.
- A state assembly is entitled to six (6) delegates and six (6) alternates.
- Delegates and alternates shall be active members elected by the membership. (Only active members may vote.)
- Vote by ballot in person is valid. Other forms, such as the raising of hands, volunteers, by email or phone is void.
- The membership elects the alternate at the same time as the delegates.
- Members of the Board cannot be delegates or alternates if not elected by the membership.
- The president or any other board member cannot appoint delegates or alternates.
- Submit the attached interactive Delegate and Alternate Form to AST within five (5) days of the elections.
ELIGIBILITY - ACTIVE MEMBER OF AST
- An individual must be current with certification through the National Board of Surgical Technology & Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) as a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST). A CSFA only (not a CST) and Pre77’s without currency are not eligible.
- The individual must be current in their AST membership and at the time of the AST National Conference.
AT AST ANNUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE
During the national conference, the only time a President or Chair can move an alternate to a delegate:
- When a delegate does not attend the conference and the state has previously designated alternate and in conference attendance.
- When a State Assembly President or Chair finds a delegate is not following their state assembly policies.
Once you have completed the any of the application forms, then you can email or mail them to:
Lori Groinus, CST
MN State Assembly President
P.O. Box 163
Becker, MN 55308